Welcome, I’m glad you stopped by.
I hope you’re having an enjoyable wander, finding things that pique your interest.
For the Beginner Watercolorists, you’ll find a lot of resource information within the Watercolor Basics Page. Others, interested in a broader scope of experimental art, expressing creativity, learning how to see things differently…. The Search button will be a fabulous tool!
Why I teach & share Art ….
I find I always want to know “the Why” of things!
So, “why” do I teach?
I find it incredibly satisfying to share with others the different ways Individuals may express their own uniquely creative voice, their own thoughts and feelings.
To find their pathway to artistic authenticity.
Where You Can Find Me
Atwell Gallery http://atwellarts.weebly.com/debi-riley—watercolour.html
I am, 2-3 x week, posting on Instagram so you can see my recent activities & projects there.
Online shops: Society6.com & Redbubble.com
Love of Diversity
I was, a pure watercolorist.
For many years I taught “Absolute Beginners Watercolours” at a community college in Sydney. Life changed with a series of multiple international transfers. However, with those exciting transfers to new cities, art centres, colleges, I heard the same thing.
We don’t need a beginner’s watercolour teacher. We already have one.”
Many times though, that “No” was followed with a new question.
“But, can you teach something Different?“
And each time I said, “YES. I CAN.”
I adapted. My mindset changed.
Different isn’t merely what I’m used to doing now, it is truly what I most enjoy doing.
I don’t think I am nearly as afraid of “NO” now.
“No” has taught me so many lessons. Presenting the opportunity to build resilience, resolve, and to become more purpose driven. Learning to take Risks in being authentically, vulnerably, Different.
Art Awards Highlights
- 2015 Curators Pick Indian Ocean MCAA Art Awards
- 2014 Mastery of Technique Zen I Watercolour 1st Prize MCAA
- 2005 First Place Watercolors Landscape II “Outstanding Artistic Vision, Exceptional skill in the media” North Central Texas College judge, Dan Bills
- 1998 The Outstanding Work Modern Section Night Rider “Impressive image, sensitive, economical in its colour, tonal and shape relationships” judge, Patrick Carroll
- 1999 Grand Champion of Show Landscape Untitled Watercolour Art Prize Manella Show
Visual Arts Instructor
- University of Western Australia extension Perth, WA
- Atwell Gallery Perth, WA
- Daniel Smith Art Materials: Seattle; Bellevue; Silverdale, Washington
- Central Coast Community College Ourimbah, NSW
- Manly Warringah College (Northern Beaches Community College ) Sydney
- Shoreline Community College, Washington USA