Welcome! Thank You so much for stopping in.
I hope you’re having an enjoyable stroll around my website and are finding things that pique your interest.
There is a lot of resource information especially within the Watercolor Basics page that beginners may find useful, as you first start out to paint.
Why I teach & share Art ….
I’m dedicated, passionate and enthusiastic about finding ways to share art ideas with others.
I find it incredibly satisfying to help Individuals express their own uniquely creative voice, their own thoughts and feelings.
To find their pathway to artistic authenticity.
My current work project is making my art designs available in my online shops Society6.com. and Redbubble.com
DJR Designs are now available as canvas prints, iphone covers, gift cards, duvets, fashion and home decor items.
and there is More to be added, at Redbubble.com and Society 6 Debiriley (samples below)
What is my website about? What are you going to find?
I must confess, I have a very broad interpretation… of what ‘art’ is.
Art is life, and Life is art.
Yes, That, pretty much covers it.
My art reflects me.
Thus, you’re going to find varied topics and media and subjects.
I won’t stick to one medium. Nor one subject.
Every subject tells me it needs to be revealed in its own way.
And I must respect that.
I do lean strongly towards semi abstract landscapes, with an eastern Asian influence running through much of my work.
I love experimental art processes,
diversity of creative expression.
That, and of course, Colour!
When I’m not teaching or painting, I’m building a Pinterest.com/debijriley site. You’ll find great art ideas – Watercolors, Drawing, Pastels, Oils, Collage, Printmaking ++
Love of Diversity
Well, I was a pure watercolorist. Teaching “Absolute Beginners Watercolours” at Manly Warringah Community College for years. Then, our life changed with a series of job transfers around the globe. However…..With those exciting transfers to new cities, art centres, colleges I heard the same thing.
We don’t need a beginner’s watercolour teacher. We already have one!”
My heart fell each time, in those early years of such remarks. Many times though, that “No” would very soon be followed up with a new question.
“But, can you teach something Different?!“
And each time I would reply,
“YES. I CAN.”
I really didn’t let it stop me, ‘The What,’ that they were wanting for me to teach. If it was within the realm of possible, then I would, do it.
- After 15 + years of “Can you teach something Different?”
- Different is what I Love to do!
- Different made me develop in ways I never expected
- Its been great fun with every new step
Art Awards = a few Highlights
- 2015 Curators Pick MCAA Aug 6, 2015 Indian Ocean mixed media
- 2014 Mastery of Technique Watercolour Prize MCAA 2014 Zen I
- 2005 “Outstanding Artistic Vision” and ….. “Exceptional skill in the media” comment by North Central Texas College judge, Dan Bills
- “Impressive image, sensitive, economical in its colour, tonal and shape relationships…..The Outstanding work in the modern section.” comment made by 1998 KAS judge, Patrick Carroll
- 1999 Grand Champion of Show Watercolour Art Prize Manella Show
Visual Arts Instructor work history brief:
- University of Western Australia extension Perth, WA
- Atwell Gallery Perth, WA
- Daniel Smith Art Materials: Seattle; Bellevue; Silverdale, Washington
- Central Coast Community College Ourimbah, NSW
- Manly Warringah College (Northern Beaches Community College ) Sydney
- Shoreline Community College, Washington USA
I’d like to encourage, enthuse and inspire others just as generously as they have done.