ancient Queen of Summer
robed red against the cobalt sky
July, all languid and full of summer…….
and as, all her days
began to frolic
throughout the month
so lovely and softly warm –
the Queen of Summer reigns.
o ancient Queen
Queen of Summer,
untamed tresses of gilded locks
with the setting sun
in every strand.
her name was July
Watercolor Painting Process
This is a watercolor/mixed media piece. The underlying foundation began as watercolor wet in wet.
And then, the evolutionary process took over.
It, dictated to me, what it would be.
and….. Her name was July!
- applied molding paste texture onto watercolor Arches CP paper
- dried overnight
- applied watercolor washes of pale skin tone, pink and blue wet in wet
- let dry thoroughly
- applied light touches of acrylic paints to emphasize the design
- let dry
- applied 22k gold leaf on face, brows, lips, etc
My Inspirations for this art piece are 3 fold:
- July is now, the official World Watercolor Month
2. I’ve always loved the month of July, growing up in the Pacific NW it was …Summer! I lived for those lovely mild, warm days, all 31 of them.
3. My planned July trip over there was cancelled, so I am ‘improvising.’ I’m envisioning myself there!